Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July Fun Run

After a very late night watching fireworks on Friday, I had to get everyone up early for my race, the Kingston Fourth of July Fun Run (5K). I felt horrible all morning, I was not even sure why I was there. Although I did have to come up with an answer for that one, when Brian asked why we were there when I didn't want to run? Well, I had already paid for it, and just because I feel like crap does not mean I should exercise. If that was the case, I probably would never workout.

Believe it or not, I ended up placing third in my division and I had one of my best times of the season thus far. I was a little disappointed because they only gave out ribbons to the first place in each division. Although, I still know where I stand. haha. There must be something special about the 4th of July, because this was the same weekend last year that I placed in the triathlon. I always knew this was my favorite holiday.

There was a huge hill at the end of the first mile and I thought I would never make it up. I usually force myself to keep running, but I have realized that I can stretch my stride if I walk fast. It was a relief to finally get up it. At about 2.5 miles, I felt that my sock had fallen below my shoe and I was getting a blister. (A very good reason, why I will ONLY wear running sock from now on). But I pushed through it and found myself looking up the last stretch of the course and it was another hill. I could see the Brian and the boys waiting near the finish line and kept my motivation in focus. I pushed myself to the end and could barely get my stupid number off before throwing up. Andy, you would be proud, third race in a row, need to figure out something to do about that. At least, I didn't almost run the guy down, like I did last time. Oops!

After I was finished, I felt good as usual. I am not sure it is because I actually exercised or just because I can eat anything I want throughout the rest of the day. Either way, it feels like a good accomplishment.

No comments: