Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Lake Water IS Very, Very Cold Water

There is something that is said for those who train for a triathlon when the water temperture is 60 degrees and the air temperature is only 53 degress. I am not sure which is worse, getting in the ice cold water or getting out of it? I think it was all a blur, so I will not make the judgement of which was worse. All I know is that it was absolutely COLD. So why am I in 60 degree water when it is only 53 degrees outside? Well it is back to my triathlon training. Every Tuesday the Tri Team will venture to WildCat Lake and practice getting used to the cold water and also swimming in Lake water. There is definitely a big difference between swimming in a pool vs a lake. A Lake is much COLDER, harder to see, and doesn't taste very good when you actually swallow the water. What I am learning: the faster you move in the water, the faster you are finished with the swim. Although that is probably the whole point of exercising. So just make sure you are wearing a very thick wet suit.

1 comment:

nursecari said...

The Ironman was last month and the water then was so cold they made it mandatory to wear wet suits. The water was 58. Now, it is a balmy 66 degrees and unless it warms up ALOT by the next month, I am inclined to wear my wet suit for the whole damn mile swim!! I suppose once you start breathing again, the swimming is a faster pace....