Thursday, January 21, 2010

Really Behind the Eight Ball

I must apologize for the extremely long absence of updating our blog. I would like to say that life has been so busy that I have not had a moment to sit down and write about any of it, but that would probably be fabricating the truth just a little bit. Actually, I have no real reason for the absence. I just walk away from the computer after checking email and totally forget to return and update all of our doings. My hope is to change that. Because really how difficult is it to actually write a few paragraphs daily? Please don't answer that... I am sure it is very easy and I will look like a fool.

I am also hoping to start adding my training to this blog, that way I am somewhat held accountable for my workouts by more than just myself. Not that I expect anyone to call me up and yell at me for not working out. Actually that might not be a bad idea. I feel so much better after my workouts (except right now with my legs aching right up to my butt). But I know I was better off after completing my workout yesterday. Here are my goals for this year: complete a Half Marathon (possibly in June) and complete an Olympic Distance Triathlon (hopefully in July or August). I set out to do both of these events last year, unfortunately with my shoulder surgery, I did not complete either of them.

For those who don't remember, I had a SLAP (Superior Labral tear from Anterior to Posterior)Tear in my Labrum. I had surgery on October 7, 2009. I was in a sling for six weeks (absolutely no movement), for the following six weeks I was allowed movement but only lifting things UNDER 1 pound. I don't know about you, but one pound is very difficult to comply with, especially when there are two little boys in the mix. I am almost done with my third set of six weeks and I am slowly increasing my weight. I do not have 100% of my movement, but I am almost there. As soon as I am allowed I will be heading back to the pool. I have missed being in the water the most during this whole process. Once my shoulder is healed enough for me to continue swimming, my training for triathlon season will be in full swing. My goal is to be in the water by mid February. Wish me luck...

On top of my training, I am going to be starting a new way of getting fruits and vegetables into my family. For those who know me, these food items do NOT rate high on my list of edible things. Actually I am not even sure they made a list in my diet at all. My dear friend Jessica has started a blog: The Year of Green Smoothies. She loves these things and makes them daily if not multiple times a day. Supposedly, one drink is enough fruits and vegetables for the entire day. Since I currently don't eat any of them, I figured even if I only make one smoothie a week, I am improving my health, right? I originally would only try a smoothie when I was at her house, but one day she brought a smoothie to me and Brian was there. As soon as he got a taste of it, he was hooked. Not sure if he loved the taste of it, but he loved the IDEA of it. Any time we can drink one smoothie a day and get that much natural vitamins in our body is a good thing. If you are interested in more information about these follow Jessica's blog. I am not sure how much I will be posting about it. But she will be excited just to hear I am thinking about drinking them.

I don't want to burn out on my first day back to the blog, so I will end for now. I will try to post some pictures soon of our trip to Disney this past December.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

WooHoo!!! You're doing green smoothies! I knew I'd get you (or rather, Brian!) hooked eventually! LOL!!